If you’re reading this chances are you own your own business, you’re an entrepreneur.
Have you ever stepped back and asked yourself how the business you’ve created really serves your life, enhances it in every sense?
This may seem like a simple question, however, in my experience entrepreneurs never ask this question because they are busy doing the work.
Working ‘in’ the business … rarely taking time to work ‘on’ it.
What is your relationship to your business?
Is it a business that can run without you and gives you MORE life?
Does it just feel like a job, where you get paid a salary and work 40+ hours per week?
Or, is it a hobby, something you love doing but doesn’t actually pay the bills?
Getting clear on your relationship with your business is one of the first steps to changing the way things are.
Here’s a very simple exercise you can take to gauge where you are in relationship to your business.
Take a blank piece of paper and score yourself now between 1 and 10 in terms of how you feel your business is serving your life, based on the following guidelines:
1 – my business is all consuming and dominates every waking hour and feels so much bigger than my life.
10 – my business fulfils me in every way and sits inside my life as a nourishing part, I wouldn’t change a thing about it.
If you scored between 1 – 7 you’re probably experiencing symptoms such as:
– Feel overwhelmed & tired
– Have an overflowing inbox with no end of emails you know you should be sorting out
– Don’t know where to focus your time and prioritise because there’s always too much to do
– Are working late at night trying to ‘catch up’ – but never do
– Have a hit and miss team of people working with you (because you can’t find good people)
– Struggling to understand the finances in your business are, feels like your accountant speaks another language
– You don’t have a clear vision for your life for the next 1 – 3 years
– Which means you don’t have a clear vision for your business for the next 1 – 3 years
– Which means you don’t have a clear business plan for 2016
– Which means you don’t have clear and specific monthly goals for you and your team
– Which means you, and therefore your team, lack direction, purpose and meaning every day
– Which means your business isn’t performing as well as it could and you feel stuck and in chaos
– Which means you probably have a job, not a business, because if you stopped working things would probably grind to a halt pretty quickly … the business feels bigger than you, where it should actually be sitting inside your life as a fulfilling part
– Which means you’re like the majority of business owners in the world
Two questions I ask you to consider:
1 – Do you want to change the way things are right now?
2 – Are you prepared to change the way you think, operate, and relate to your business and invest energy and time into your own growth?
If the answer is yes to both questions then go to step 3.
Ask yourself this question and write, write, write until you have a good sense of clarity:
What would a score of 10 look like for me?
Get really specific about how, in a perfect world, you’d like to see your business operating so it serves your life. Whatever it looks like. It might be something as simple as:
– ‘I want to see more of my children and not work at evenings.’
– ‘I’d like to be able to take four two week holidays each year and have adventures with my family.’
– ‘I want to be more present with those close to me and have a more loving relationship with my partner, so we have fun like we did in the old days.’
– ‘I’d be organised each and every day and come to work feeling excited and happy knowing that everything I do is moving me and my family closer to our ideal life.’
– ‘I want my business to be fully systematised and operate 100% without me so I can pursue other passions and interests.’
You can paint any picture you want, it’s completely your choice.
And, if you know where you want to go, it’s much easier to find the most effective path there.
Much like if you were building a house, you’d probably commission an architect to design what the finished article will look like before working out how to build it – a business, and your life – is no different. Apart from one great thing – YOU GET THE BE THE ARCHITECT!
Something magical happens when you start to get everything out of your head and onto paper.
You’ll start to see clear goals you have that were buried under the noise inside and fear.
You’ll start to feel centered and clear about what kind of life you want to live looks like.
You’ll grow as a person and become a better version of yourself.
You’ll feel better, and be happier.
More importantly, this is one of the steps in creating a business intentionally (by design) to help you live a better life, rather than by default, which is what the majority of business owners do.
Ending up with their business feeling bigger than their life, and all consuming.
You have a choice to step out from the crowd and lead. If you want to change the way things are.
Be authentic. You always have a choice. Lead.
#leadership #businessdevelopment #life
Ps. If you’re an entrepreneur looking for help on how to create a business that gives you the life you want, join my free facebook group called meta. entrepreneurs, here’s the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/metaentrepreneurs